October 10, 2007

um..what?

I was reading an awesome verse last night when i was doing my devos in John chapter 10, the parable of the Shepard and the sheep. I read something really interesting that i was like hm, i need to look this up further. I went to the library today to look at the many commentaries there are about John. The first one i picked up, i read and it confirmed the things that i thought about this passage. I picked up 2 other commentaries, and they both said totally different things from the first one, and from each other. When it comes to biblical passages, how can a person come up with more then one meaning? Shouldn't Gods word be consistent and universal and have the same meaning to whoever reads it? How should someone know what to believe to be true if passages say different things?

Just a thought...

No comments: